Group 3 - Homelite Fluid Pump (Gasoline Powered) - Preliminary Project Review
Preliminary Project Review (Project Management)
The purpose of this section is to review the group's operation through current date since the inception of the work proposal and management proposal which were contracted in Gate 1. This review will provide: A general assessment of the group's efficacy in enacting these plans including specific reasons why they were successful; Causes for corrective action, including both identified and foreseeable issues with resolutions; And finally a summary of the review focused upon future success. Introduce the purpose for this section
For this project to be success it is essential to have weekly meetings to discuss and designate tasks within the group. Group 3 has a meeting every Monday and Wednesday at 5 pm to converse general information with each other such as problems within the group, deadlines, and discuss future plans in order to proceed with the project. Additionally, Group 3 formulated a Facebook private group where everyone could upload documents, post questions, and comment anything the group has missed during the meeting. This way we are always in constant communication. During constant communication everyone has a specific deadline where each individual completes their own assignment. This allows us to not fall behind, and complete the assigned project efficiently.
The Management plan worked successfully because we are all in constant communication. Everyone understands the situation and knows which individual is doing what task. Therefore, when Group 3 have their two weekly meetings we discuss a good portion of the content on Monday and have a follow up on Wednesday where everyone gives their own information towards the project. Once everyone has looked and revised it then the project can continue.
Cause for Corrective Action
Identified Issues & Resolutions
- Group Member Weakness Revealed
- As the heading implies, Group 3 encountered a hurdle to overcome that directly resulted from the detriment of one member's weaknesses as they were recorded in Work Proposal - Group Member Evaluation. When delegating tasks and responsibilities for generating the reports and content for Gate 1, Mark Tomaszewski took on more responsibility than he could possibly handle in accomplishing tasks of content generation, editing, and publishing the group Wiki pages. To quote his weaknesses directly: "Strives for perfection, Sometimes sets unachievable goals, Imposed workload can be overbearing."
- To address his own concerns with inability to achieve the unreasonable goals he set for himself, all Mark had to do is speak to the group at the next (frequently scheduled) mandatory group meeting. A resolution was met according to that which is outline in Management Proposal - Productivity Model & Meeting Schedule, "... group members can cooperatively build a strategy by which to maintain productivity ..." and in the guidelines for Conflict Handling, "The group's first method of choice for reaching a resolution to conflict is to compromise within reason." In the setting of a group meeting, Mark spoke openly with the group about misappropriation of the Gate 1 workload, and through the guidance of Alberto Santiago (Project Manager) the group agreed to compromise in sharing the workload to normalize individual group members' efforts.
Foreseeable Issues & Resolutions
- Potential for Failure
- If one group member fails to accomplish a certain task on our own deadline it will hinder the group to continue. Hindering the group results in rushing the assignment which therefore lowers our grade.
- Another potential problem is that the group might be frustrated at another group member and will not discuss it. If this problem is not being discussed it will rebound in the near future. This will result into two group members not working together.
- Transportation is also another issue that the group needs to deal with. Not everyone has a car to go to another group member’s house and dissect the product.
- It is necessary that all group members work together without involving personal problems to continue on with the task. Group 3 will continue to maintain open lines of communication through mandatory group meetings. At which meetings, the solutions to foreseeable issues (such at off-campus transportation for dissection) can be addressed in order to prevent the issues from occurring.
The group will set realistic achievable goals on certain dates throughout the semester that way it will keep us all in check. It will help keep us motivated and determined to finish this project with a great amount of effort. If in any case any group member needs assistance on a certain project task that person will notify everyone else in the group by Facebook or in the group meeting that they need help. Also if there are group conflicts, we will take the first five minutes of our bi-weekly meetings to address them. Once the problem is addressed and resolved, the group can proceed with the project. Now that group knows how much time the wiki everyone in the group could help the person in charge of the wiki so that they will have a lighter work load.