"Processing is an open source programming language and environment for people who want to program images, animation, and sound. It is used by students, artists, designers, architects, researchers, and hobbyists for learning, prototyping, and production. It is created to teach fundamentals of computer programming within a visual context and to serve as a software sketchbook and professional production tool. Processing is developed by artists and designers as an alternative to proprietary software tools in the same domain." -http://processing.org/
Processing can be used in conjuction with RoombaComm Java Library to write code for communicating with the Roomba.
Processing does not require installation; It can be run from its folder or CD. Here is the step-by-step required to run RoombaTune, an application that allows the user to use the roomba as a musical instrument through the keyboard.
- Download Processing (the necessary libraries are included)
- Windows: (coming January 2006)
- OSX: http://gicl.cs.drexel.edu/wiki-data/images/d/da/Processing_0123_-_OSX.zip
- Extract the "Processing 0123" folder
- Within the folder, the application is Processing 0123.exe (windows) or Processing 0123.app (OSX). Use this application to open roombatune.pde, which is located in the directory Processing 0123>Roomba Examples>roombatune
- At this point, you must connect the roomba to your computer. To do this, refer to the page Connecting Roomba to Your Computer
- Once the roomba has been setup for your computer and roombetune is openned in Processing, you can now press "Run" (the play arrow button at the upper left of Processing) to test roombatune.
- A dialogue box should appear, asking which [[Roomba Port" to use. Select the one that