Difference between revisions of "Mike Grauer's Robot Project"

From GICL Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Version 1.0 Manual Power)
Line 6: Line 6:
  
 
I started with the idea of making a 4 legged robot, as that seemed easier to stabilize and balance than a 2 legged creature, and a bit simpler than a 6 legged robot in that 4 legs are fewer than 6.  This robot has a single axle down its center axis that powers 2 separate 24T gears, each of which is attached to an axle that powers front or rear legs.  The legs are attached to the axle with another 24T gear, which allows for 4 different offset positions of the leg attachments, though in this version of the robot I didn't really play around with that.  When I built this robot, the kit I was working with had no motors, so I couldn't really design around the motors, and subsequently when I saw the motors I realized that I'd have to change the design as there was no place to attach a motor.  In my mind I had thought that a single motor could drive both gears, and as a result, both sets of legs, and that I would simply be able to swap in a motor for the manual turning of the central axle, but this didn't work out.  Part of the problem was that the motor took up too much space on this robot and had to be pushed far out to the head/tail so that it could properly attach to the central axle (I'll start calling this the drivetrain from now on), and once I attached a motor at this position the weight of the motor threw the entire robot off balance.  At this point I realized I needed a partial tear down and redesign.
 
I started with the idea of making a 4 legged robot, as that seemed easier to stabilize and balance than a 2 legged creature, and a bit simpler than a 6 legged robot in that 4 legs are fewer than 6.  This robot has a single axle down its center axis that powers 2 separate 24T gears, each of which is attached to an axle that powers front or rear legs.  The legs are attached to the axle with another 24T gear, which allows for 4 different offset positions of the leg attachments, though in this version of the robot I didn't really play around with that.  When I built this robot, the kit I was working with had no motors, so I couldn't really design around the motors, and subsequently when I saw the motors I realized that I'd have to change the design as there was no place to attach a motor.  In my mind I had thought that a single motor could drive both gears, and as a result, both sets of legs, and that I would simply be able to swap in a motor for the manual turning of the central axle, but this didn't work out.  Part of the problem was that the motor took up too much space on this robot and had to be pushed far out to the head/tail so that it could properly attach to the central axle (I'll start calling this the drivetrain from now on), and once I attached a motor at this position the weight of the motor threw the entire robot off balance.  At this point I realized I needed a partial tear down and redesign.
 +
 +
 +
[[Image:MJG-snakerobot-V1-0.JPG]]

Revision as of 17:30, 6 October 2006



Version 1.0 Manual Power

I started with the idea of making a 4 legged robot, as that seemed easier to stabilize and balance than a 2 legged creature, and a bit simpler than a 6 legged robot in that 4 legs are fewer than 6. This robot has a single axle down its center axis that powers 2 separate 24T gears, each of which is attached to an axle that powers front or rear legs. The legs are attached to the axle with another 24T gear, which allows for 4 different offset positions of the leg attachments, though in this version of the robot I didn't really play around with that. When I built this robot, the kit I was working with had no motors, so I couldn't really design around the motors, and subsequently when I saw the motors I realized that I'd have to change the design as there was no place to attach a motor. In my mind I had thought that a single motor could drive both gears, and as a result, both sets of legs, and that I would simply be able to swap in a motor for the manual turning of the central axle, but this didn't work out. Part of the problem was that the motor took up too much space on this robot and had to be pushed far out to the head/tail so that it could properly attach to the central axle (I'll start calling this the drivetrain from now on), and once I attached a motor at this position the weight of the motor threw the entire robot off balance. At this point I realized I needed a partial tear down and redesign.


MJG-snakerobot-V1-0.JPG