Johnson Scorpion Fishing Reel
This is the Scorpion Fishing Reel made by Johnson.
Replacement fishing reel for loosening/tightening fishing line. This is accomplished by human power as a crank (gear) which through a series of conversions spins and translates the reel to allow fishing line to be released or tightened.
Johnson has a wide variety of fishing reels, this being one of the lower price/quality ($7).
1. Durability and reliability - people who purchase this product do not want the product to be unable to perform its intended purpose or to altogether fail.
2. Aesthetics – purchasers are going to be more likely to buy the product if it is more attractive.
3. Ease of use – the reel needs to be simple and easy to use, shouldn’t require large amounts of time to assemble to the rod or to change lines.
4. The new reel must be able to fit on the most fishing pools
1. Must have reel large enough to fit fishing lines. (inches of width and depth)
2. Ease to use will be how long it takes to assemble on a pole. (# of steps)
3. Fatigue life (cycles until failure)
The table belows lists the Bill of Materials for the Scorpion Fishing Reel:
|Part #||Part Name||# Category||Function||Material||Picture|
|1||Pick up or Bail||Support Element||Locking Mechanism for Line (if over line, line is locked into place, if behind, in position for casting)||Metal|
|2||Spindle||Output||Holds wound line, or when turning reel handle, will spin to retract line.||Plastic|
|3||Drag Adjustment Knobs||Support Element||Adjusts tightness of the line. Allows line to “play out” when line is pulled.||Plastic (Exterior)
|4||Bail Spring||Support Elements||Applies force against the Bail when engaged.||Metal/Plastic|
|5||Bail Lever||Motion Conversion Element||Unlocks spindle from gearbox.||Metal|
|6||Plastic Casings||Structural||To add a shine to the appearance of the reel.||Plastic|
|7||Spindle Housing||Structural/ Motion Conversion Element||Protects drive shaft and spins the bail.||Plastic|
|8||Power wheel/gear||Transmission||Transfers power from handle to drive shaft and scotch yoke.||Metal|
|9||Handle||Input||Applies external force to power wheel.||Plastic|
|10||Yoke Shaft||Support Element||Moves spindle up and down.||Metal|
|11||Clutch||Transmission||Stops spindle from rotating in on direction when engaged.||Metal|
|12||Drive Shaft||Motion Conversion/Support Element||Transfers energy from power wheel to spin spindle.||Metal|
|13||Scotch Yoke||Transmission||Converts angular energy from power wheel to move the spindle linearly.||Metal|
|14||Screws||Structural||Holds Parts Together||Metal|
|15||Mechanism Casing||Structural||Outer shell, protects mechanisms, attaches reel to rod.||Plastic|