Group 32 - Honda IC Engine - 2
- Group Members:
- David Olson
- Rassell D'Silva Green
- Mike Pelino
- Priya Parajuli
- Bilal Mohideen
Before Disassembly Section
- Found in:
- Describe the purpose of the product and how it works (your understanding at this point).
- What types of energy are used and how are they transformed?
- How many components do you think the product is made of?
- How many different types of material are used in the product?
- Record each disassembly step, the tool used, the ease or difficulty involved.
- Record each component, material type, manufacturing process used for each component, model
or part number, and any other description necessary (color, texture, etc.).
- Record the function of each component.
- Record the number of components and the types of components encountered (e.g., fasteners,
support, housing, gearing, screws, etc.)
- Record why your group thinks each component was made out of its type of material.
- Record why your group thinks each component looks the way it does.
- Record a list of design changes/improvements your group thinks could be incorporated into the
product at the component level. What features would you change or eliminate to facilitate disassembly or assembly? Are there any parts that can be eliminated or combined?
- Select 3‐5 components that are assembled in sequence and develop 3‐D CAD diagrams of each
component and explain in detail how these components are to be assembled. Any CAD package can be used.
- Record each assembly step, the tool used, and the ease or difficult involved.
- Clearly explain how your product works now that you have seen its component structure. Does
your product run the same as it did before you disassembled it?
- Explain how analyses could be used to design and test your product (or some of its components).
What type of basic engineering models could be used? Could you use estimates or would you need very precise models?
- Reflect on the disassembly/assembly processes. Were they the reverse of one another? Why or
why not? Were the same sets of tools used? Were you able to reassemble the entire product? Why or why not?
- What design changes would your group recommend at the product level (operation,
manufacturing, assembly, design, configuration, etc.)? What new features would you recommend? Would you recommend a different shape, configuration, layout, style?
- What recommendations would your group make to the company who designs and makes this
product with regard to its design, manufacture, use, maintenance, and recycle?