Eagle Claw Fishing Reel
Eagle Claw Fishing Reel
Questions for Analysis
1. What is the primary function of the device? How does it accomplish it?
The primary function of the devise is to wind fishing line and allow it to spool out. It accomplishes this by using the bail and spool in conjunction. The bail spins around the circumference of the spool there by winding the fishing line around the spool.
2. List possible user requirements for your product. Provide rationale for each requirement.
1) Smooth action: Comfort 2) Light weight: Heavy is tiring 3) Geared Up: works faster easier to maintain good speed when reeling in. 4) Strong: Reels get mild abuse when taken in and out of boats trucks and cars. 5) Corrosion resistance: water is a pervasive element when fishing. 6) Reliability: It must work when you want it to. 7) Compatibility: A reel is no good if it doesn’t fit on a fishing rod.
3. List possible engineering specifications. Which user requirement(s) do these correlate to?
1) Gear tolerances - Smooth action 2) Weight - Light weight 3) Gear ratio - Geared Up 4) Material properties – Strong Corrosion resistance 5) Vibration – Smooth action 6) Mean time between failures - Reliability 7) Percentage of fishing rods that fit the reel - Compatibility
Eagle Claw Fishing Reel Parts
Table 1: Lists the fishing reel's parts along with their function and material.
|Part #||Part Name||# Category||Function||Material||Picture|
|1||Handle||Input||Drives gearing system||Wood, composite, metal|
|2||Transmission Gear||Transmission||Converts rotation for oscillation and spinning mechanisms||Aluminum|
|3||Oscillating Gear||Transmission||Drives scotch yoke mechanism||Aluminum|
|4||Scotch yoke||Transmission||Drives oscillation shaft||Metal|
|5||Oscillation shaft||Transmission||Oscillates spool and drag cap assembly||Metal|
|6||Drag cap||Transmission||Sets resistance between shaft and spool to limit tension on line||Anodized Aluminum|
|7||Spool||Output||Moves up and down to evenly distribute line on spool||Aluminum|
|8||Helical gear||Transmission||Turns rotating motion of transmission gear 90 degrees for bail rotation||Metal|
|9||Housing||Transmission||Holds and supports all gear mechanisms||Plastic|
|10||Bail||Output||Winds line onto spool||Metal|
Detailed Part Analysis
|1||What Decisions were made in the design of this component?||The material as well as the surface finish and various dimensions which will be explained later.|
|2||What are the critical features and dimensions?||One critical dimensions is the spool depth which determines how much line the spool can hold. Another is the surface roughness of the drag setting interface which determines the range or drag settings the reel can have. The line clip is also a key feature since it prevents line from unraveling from the spool after use. Lastly, the rounded leading edge ensures minimal friction with the line as it is being cast.|
|3||What kind of loading do we expect to be on the component?||Loading will consist of a small tangential force to the spool during line winding and a small axial force on the spool from the oscillation shaft. The main forces on the spool will occur when a fish "runs" and puts high tension on the line. This will cause a torque on the shaft which will be resisted by the friction force between the drag setting interface and the cap.|
|4||What measures can we use to evaluate performance?||The spool's performance can be measured by its weight as well as its line carrying capacity. Another measure would be the range of torques the drag system can resist.|