Eagle Claw Fishing Reel
Eagle Claw Fishing Reel
Questions for Analysis
1. What is the primary function of the device? How does it accomplish it?
The primary function of the devise is to wind fishing line and allow it to spool out. It accomplishes this by using the bail and spool in conjunction. The bail spins around the circumference of the spool there by winding the fishing line around the spool.
2. List possible user requirements for your product. Provide rationale for each requirement.
1) Smooth action: Comfort 2) Light weight: Heavy is tiring 3) Geared Up: works faster easier to maintain good speed when reeling in. 4) Strong: Reels get mild abuse when taken in and out of boats trucks and cars. 5) Corrosion resistance: water is a pervasive element when fishing. 6) Reliability: It must work when you want it to. 7) Compatibility: A reel is no good if it doesn’t fit on a fishing rod.
3. List possible engineering specifications. Which user requirement(s) do these correlate to?
1) Gear tolerances - Smooth action 2) Weight - Light weight 3) Gear ratio - Geared Up 4) Material properties – Strong Corrosion resistance 5) Vibration – Smooth action 6) Mean time between failures - Reliability 7) Percentage of fishing rods that fit the reel - Compatibility
Eagle Claw Fishing Reel Parts
Table 1: Lists the fishing reel's parts along with their function and material.
|Part #||Part Name||# Category||Function||Material||Picture|
|1||Handle||Input||Drives gearing system||Wood, composite, metal|
|2||Transmission Gear||Transmission||Converts rotation for oscillation and spinning mechanisms||Aluminum|
|3||Oscillating Gear||Transmission||Drives scotch yoke mechanism||Aluminum|
|4||Scotch yoke||Transmission||Drives oscillation shaft||Metal|
|5||Oscillation shaft||Transmission||Oscillates spool and drag cap assembly||Metal|
|6||Drag cap||Transmission||Sets resistance between shaft and spool to limit tension on line||Anodized Aluminum|
|7||Spool||Output||Moves up and down to evenly distribute line on spool||Aluminum|
|8||Helical gear||Transmission||Turns rotating motion of transmission gear 90 degrees for bail rotation||Metal|
|9||Housing||Transmission||Holds and supports all gear mechanisms||Plastic|
|10||Bail||Output||Winds line onto spool||Metal|
Detailed Part Analysis
|1||What Decisions were made in the design of this component?||The size, material of the top part and the material of the pad on the bottom.|
|2||What are the critical features and dimensions?||The critical dimensions are that the part that holds the bearing in the middle isn't too tall and that the holes for the flexible legs to be screwed in are the right distance apart. The overall size is also a critical dimension because it shouldn't extend past the rest of the body of the sander so that the whole tool is one compact unit. A critical feature is that the bottom surface must be soft enough that when pressure is applied, the sand paper provide a smooth sanding of the surface and not scratch the surface.|
|3||What kind of loading do we expect to be on the component?||The sanding platform will undergo lots of vibrations as it is jolted around from side to side to perform the sanding task. There will also be a force applied to the bottom of the sanding platform as pressure is applied while sanding objects.|
|4||What measures can we use to evaluate performance?||The performance of this part is directly related to the performance of most other parts of the tool. The vibrations are a result of the motor, flexible legs, and offset weight. The softness of the bottom can be measured by sanding corners and evaluating how clean the sanding finish is.|